Thursday, December 1, 2016

Sirphey, Los Alamos New Mexico - A Review of This Unique Restaurant

An interesting restaurant in Los Alamos had popped up on my radar and I have been anxious to try it.  There are not that many options in Los Alamos and so when something this unique comes along it really build excitement.

Sirphey, located at 1793 Deacon Street, Los Alamos, NM, is a non-typical restaurant in where there is no front house.  There are stools and a small bar type area along the walls of the small front room that you can sit and read while you wait for your order to be brought out.  The food is all take out and the menu changes daily.  You can either pick it up or have it delivered if you are in their delivery area.   What I really liked is their web site (https://sirphey.com/).  On the web site you can view the food being served that day along with a description.  From the online menu you can build your order and choose when you want it delivered or picked up.  The times to choose from are in half hour increments. Between 11 am and 2pm the food is hot, after that the food is chilled and packaged for reheating.

Speaking of packaging lets talk about the that.  According to the website the packaging is Eco-Friendly (https://sirphey.com/ecofriendly) and the delivery times are timed so that the food is delivered in a way that the driver can make multiple deliveries at one time.

So what did we think of the food and overall experience.  We were mixed, but we all agreed on what we liked and what we did not like.  Here is what we ordered:

Two Orders of Gulab Jamun @ $3.75 an order
One order of Kolhapuri Chicken (with Naan) @ $8.50 an order
One Chicken Toscano @ $9.50 an order
One Mango Lassi  @ $3.00 and order

Our order totaled $30.58 with Tax.

We had never experienced Gulab Jamun and I am not sure I was impressed.  It was not bad, I would even say it was a nice level of sweetness.  It reminded me of a slightly wet and rubbery doughnut hole.  It tasted fine, for me it was a textural issue.  Not something that I would order again, but not something that I would tell others to not order.  Also since this was the first time any of us had experienced this dessert we have nothing to base it off of.
Gulab Jamun


The order of Kolhapuri Chicken  with Naan was absolutely wonderful.  Everyone who sampled this agreed that this was a absolutely wonderful dish and we would order over and over.  The Naan was also perfect.  I like curry in small amounts and normally shy away from dishes with curry.  This dish was so well balanced in flavors it actually was by far one of the best curry dishes I have ever had.

The Mango Lassi was also a big hit with everyone.  I loved that it was not overly sweet and very creamy.  The mango was a perfect intensity.  Even at $3 for a small drink I have found myself wanting to stop in just to get this drink.

Photo is from Sirpheys Own Website


The Last of our order was the Chicken Toscano.  I would not say that this was bad, but more bland.  This was the one dish that no one chose to finish.  What flavor it did have did not seem Italian.  This was agreed on by everyone who tried the dish.  Everyone also agreed that this was a miss and no one would order again.

Over all I would say that Sirphey is a place that I will visit again, for the convenience and for the Indian food.  I am not sure I would try any of their Italian dishes again.  I do think I will be revisiting them in the coming months and if I do I will do a updated review.



 


























No comments:

Post a Comment